If you like starting your day with fruit (like I do), a great way to do this is to drink your breakfast...all you need is a blender, some frozen bananas, creativity, and you're good to go!
When your bananas get brown after several days of being out, peel and freeze, so you always have some on hand...also keep a few strawberries, pieces of pineapple, mango and papaya in the freezer to make your shakes extra delicious.
Some tips and tricks...
- Add water to get the shake going in the blender, no need for milk.
- The fruit is sweet enough, no need for honey or sugar.
- A handful of spinach thrown in is a great way to get more iron & extra vitamins in... it makes your shake green but isn't everything going green these days?
- Mint tastes delicious in a shake.
- A drop of vanilla adds 'yum' to it.
- A spoonful of tahini (sesame paste) gives a special flavor.
- Fresh squeezed orange juice is a good base.
- A few walnuts add a great taste plus Omega 3 to your shake.
- Some crushed flax seeds also add Omega 3 and is good for your heart.
- Coconut adds a special flavor (unsweetened, organic is best).
- Adding one tsp of Carob powder makes a real treat.
- Any kind of berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries - add great flavor.
The cup or glass you drink from makes a difference- should be strong and elegant, with a straw!
On a hot day blend crushed ice with watermelon pieces (seedless) - it is a very tasty and refreshing Summer drink that you can make in less than 30 seconds.
Blended salads are a great way to eat healthy when you're on the go...no need for chopping a lot and you get even better nutrition by drinking it rather than chewing...throw in a pepper, tomato, cucumber, sliced avocado some parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, seasonings and blend baby blend!...experiment with other veggies, add lettuce or spinach for extra green...tastes delicious and very refreshing, kind of like drinking salsa or gazpacho.
Enjoy & Bon Appetit!