Recently I gave a demonstration at our local library in Weston, FL of a 'Secret' healthy ice cream recipe that I have been making and perfecting over the years, with frozen bananas as the main ingredient and base of this treat...the best compliment of all was that the many kids that attended kept lining up for 2nds, 3rds, and 4ths of the mini sample cones...that says it all!
We talked about the ingredients found in brand name ice creams, such as Ben & Jerry's, Edy's, Carvel. It was a real eye opener since so many of the ingredients listed are synthetic and difficult to pronounce - not a good sign!
We touched on some of the many benefits of bananas, such as:
- Available all year round, very affordable.
- Rich in vitamin B6 and vitamin C.
- Excellent source of fiber, magnesium and potassium.
- No fat, no sodium, no cholesterol.
- Contains three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose - giving an instant and substantial boost of energy and a perfect substitute for sweets.
- Excellent baby food.
You can eat it in a cone, cup or bowl. You can even make an ice cream pie with a base of crushed nuts, raisins and dates, the sky's the limit... I hope you will experiment and perfect your own recipes, and that you comment and let me know about your experience.
Just remember, the ice cream tastes best fresh, right after you make it...